Thursday, May 04, 2006

SBQ - May 3, 2006


Do you or have you stitched with over-dyed threads? (Weeks Dye Works,The Gentle Art Sampler Threads, Six Strand Sweets, etc.) If so, what is your opinion concerning them? If not, why not?

Yes, I have... usually only if a design calls for over-dyed threads. I am not adventurous enough to substitute on my own. I still use DMC for most of my stitching -- even if a Designer calls for the over-dyed. I do not see any reasoning in stitching two or so stitches in an over-dyed. For that I will use DMC. I do wish more designers would give a conversion to DMC/Anchor. The cost of adding all these over-dyeds to the stash can be expensive, and not readily available to all stitchers. I have been known to 'blend' two colors of DMC to achieve the 'look' of an overdyed, if I did not have the suggested floss in my stash. Some designs do look great when stitched with over-dyed -- and for those I will usually go with the suggested fibers. As for stitching each stitch individually with over-dyed, as they suggest -- that doesn't bother me.


The permalink to this post is:
http://blondelibrarian.net/stitching/archives/2006/05/over-dyed-opinions/

2 comments:

Cathy B said...

I like using the over-dyeds; haven't done too much with silk. Have started using DMC more lately.

I think we both accomplished about the same on the Game Board Sampler!

Lelia said...

Good Answer.